Monday, January 19, 2009

Cleaning out my Junk Room

This blog is mostly for Grannysaurus & might be a little bit boring so apologies if you fall asleep before you finish reading this. On the positive side, for those insomniacs out there, it might make some brain rotting, coma inducing non-stimulating light reading :-)


(BTW - As you can see Mum-me & Mummy McTavish & anyone else who responded to my technically incompetant pleadings to teach me some basics of HTML, I have learned to use strike out. Thanks for the info)


Anyway, over the weekend, the wonderful Grannysaurus was cleaning out her laundry cupboards to give them to me as for 3 years now I have been rolling up my towels & cramming them into the shallow drawers of a tall-boy. This 'new' cupboard is now my linen cupboard.


I think the cupboard is actually older than I am. It is chipboard with a wood-grain melamine finish. & shelves that don't go all the way to the doors but it is a huge improvement on what I was using before.


Grannysaurus finished cleaning them on Sunday & being the loving parent that she is, she sent Mr Sunshine to deliver them to our house in his ute. I then spent all the rest of the afternoon cleaning my junk spare room now that I had all this additional storage space.



Here are the cupboards in-situ. The boxes on top were previously stacked on the floor & I the one I wanted was never the one on top. I also had to move them to get to the bookshelves, filing cabinet, other cupboard, tall-boy, etc. because they were always in the way & never had anywhere to go where they were actually out of the way.




Fitting perfectly between the cupboard & the door is the tall-boy that I used to stuff the towels into. It is also a hand-me-down of sorts. It used to belong to DH's sister until she left home & her parents kept it at their place. When we lived with them for a while, they told us we could keep this when we left. It is old & the drawers tend to stick unless you push on both handles at the same rate. I would regularly skin my knuckles trying to get the towels in & out & it took me a while to find the best way to fit the towels in & I would curse it many a time when I was folding the towels, because the way I had to fold & then roll the towels to fit them in was time consuming & difficult to get right - I often had to fold/roll a towel several times to fit it in.


The whiteboard above is for odd jobs that need doing. The only thing I have been recording on it is my sewing. It is blank at the moment because I got out all my sewing/mending the other day & fixed it all up. I am quite proud of that because sewing I find one of the most difficult tasks to fit into my working mum lifestyle - especially when my sewing table is also the dining room table/general workbench/accumulator of junk & I have to steal a power cable from the pedestal fan (keep in mind it is the middle of summer) and then there are cables stretched across walkways & sewing machines with small curious children running around underfoot are just not a good mix all around.



This is just the other corner of the room. I still have to sort out those shoe boxes. Some are empty & some have receipts & other paperwork in them.



The only reason I took this photo was for the wall. Little Bear's room is on the other side of this wall & there used to be a doorway (with no doors) connecting these two rooms. This design left the smaller room (Little Bear's) virtually useless as it had a window to the floor on one wall, & doorways the two walls beside that. It also didn't really 'open up' the house any, as it just kind of made the spare room & Little Bear's room one big room while both were still separate from the rest of the house (by walls that is, not completely detached).


Anyway, we decided to make the smaller room a bedroom - it was plenty big enough for that & now we have the use of two rooms instead of one.


Little Bear's room has been gyprocked & plastered so it looks nice, but we haven't bothered doing anything to the other side, other than nailing some sheets of fibro taken down from Little Bear's room over the gap on this side. We plan on renovating this room after we do Cheetah's.


The wardrobe in the corner is part of a kid's wardrobe set. There are two of these & a set of drawers that go in the middle. Cheetah has the drawers & other side - at least until we build him a built-in wardrobe.



Here is the floor. I only took this photo because you can actually see the whole floor for once. The blue couch is one that Cheetah got from Aunty McTavish for his first birthday. The black thing is a beanbag with very few beans left in it.


Now seeing as I spent yesterday afternoon doing this, I now have to sort & fold a weeks worth of washing before I go to bed tonight.



Happy dreams everyone ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I think I was pregnant with you when we bought the cupboards from Amart. I stayed home from work and they delivered the wrong ones first, so with some diplomatic wrangling they managed to get the right ones to us later the same day.

Anonymous said...

One more thing done.