Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Wildlife

Here is some of the wildlife that got up close & personal with us on our getaway.

The local possum. Permanent tennant of "Coolara" (the house we stayed at).

The same possum venturing out to see what goodies we had left on the verandah this night. Unfortunately for the poor possum, we caught him halfway down the tree. With all the photo's we took, the poor little thing stayed in this position for ages. I think he wasn't game to move because he was blinded by the flashes.

Possum & Cheetah. The possum could see Cheetah & wasn't fazed in the slightest. I'll post more photo's later that show just how close we got.


One of the local Pademelons. (Like a wallaby). There were about 3 or 4 that would venture out at various times of the day, but they didn't seem as tame as the one's at Cooinda (the place we stayed at in August 08 that is right next door to this house).


Of course no visit to the NQ Rainforest is complete without a scrub turkey or several hanging around.



On a cruise of Lake Barrine we saw eels,

Saw-shelled Turtles,

two Amethyst Pythons (only 1 in this photo),


and ducks, including five 5-week old ducklings.



More photo's to come, but probably not before the weekend.

5 comments:

Mummy McTavish said...

I can't see pademelons without remembering taking Lion to the billabong with you guys and him crash tackling one in their enclosure. Ahh, my boy's such a nature lover.

Mum-me said...

Nice photos - do people swim in the lak with the eels and turtles?

Grannysaurus said...

Did you read the information sign that described how the saw-shelled turtles breath through their bottoms? Talk about bad breath!

Possum Princess said...

I love the possums! :D ...
...and the other animals too (except eels and snakes!

Chimera said...

@ mum-me - yes people do swim in the lake, but apparently they no longer go skinny dipping. I think that was because of the turtles, but I can't remember.

@ possum - I was thinking of you when I posted those ones :-)