Monday, April 6, 2009

Overactive Imagination

When Cheetah was little, we used to worry that he didn't seem to show a very active imagination. He didn't pretend a toy was anything other than what it was (eg. Sticks could not be used for guns, guitars, or rocket ships, they were just sticks). He was extremely intelligent but didn't seem to be very creative.

Now when I think back to those times, a lot of his creativity was overlooked because he found his creative streak in the most unusual of circumstances.

My favourite example ...

When Cheetah was 5, he participated in a school Fun Run. As a working mother, I was unable to attend the fun run, but that afternoon I asked Cheetah how he went.

Very matter of factly Cheetah told me he came first.

Now even though I had never seen Cheetah race, I had seen him run & felt if he was to run like that when competing with around 70 or 80 other children his age, he was either trying to make me proud by lying about his 'achievement' or he had done a Steven Bradbury.

Thinking it was more likely the former (does that make me a bad mother?), I tried to tactfully get the truth out of him. Trying to do that without crushing his fragile little psyche was like drawing hens teeth.

I can't remember exactly what I said but it was something along the lines of "Is that what really happened?" (I tried to get the tone that was between "Wow-I can't believe it" & "I DON'T believe it" Not sure how successful I was).

Cheetah's response.

"Well actually it was a tie. Billy* was coming first & I was holding his hand when we crossed the finish line". (*names changed to protect the innocent)

Mummy: "It must have been hard to run while you were holding hands. Did you hold hands for the entire race?"

Cheetah: "No, I stopped to help Billy cause he was having trouble."

Mummy: "Oh dear, that doesn't sound like Billy. I thought Billy was a good runner"

and so it continued for a few minutes. Then the story changed slightly (...in the mind of the 6 year old telling it - read 'wildly unbelievable' to the Mummy listening):

Cheetah: "No, that didn't really happen Mum. Actually I was wearing my jetpack & at the end of the race I flew across the finish & I won the race".

Mummy: "Cheetah, now I know you are making that up!" (Giving Cheetah that stern look in the rear-vision mirror while trying to keep an eye on the road as we were driving)

The next view of cheetah in the rear-vision mirror was of a very serious little 5 year old boy, caught in the act of lying & looking extremely contrite, head down & almost in tears & Mummy was sure we were finally going to hear the truth...

Cheetah: "You're right mum, my Jetpack was broken that day".



I couldn't respond for a good 5 minutes & then some as I was laughing so hard.

And to think we were worried about his imagination!

And just so you know, we never did find out how he really did in the fun run!

2 comments:

Mum-me said...

Those unreiable jetpacks - always breaking down when you need them most!

Mummy McTavish said...

What a darling. He may have not shown his creative side in the traditional ways but he could always tell a good story.