Thursday, April 16, 2009

Fire

A few nights ago, I set our smoke alarm off again (it's a regular thing in our house - every time I cook chops).

We couldn't get it to stop so we had to take it down & pull the battery out. I forgot all about it & it didn't go back up that night. The next day I saw it sitting on the bench but DH wasn't home & I am not tall enough to put it up without a ladder - DH can just stand on a chair. I thought "I will have to remember to get him to put it back up", but of course forgot about it.

That night after DH had gone to sleep I lay in bed tossing & turning thinking about the fact that our smoke alarm wasn't up & hoping that our house didn't catch fire that night.

The next morning we got up to our street full of fire engines, police cars & ambulances.

Our neighbour's house had been completely burned out.

Needless to say, the smoke alarm was back up that day!

Apparently no-one was hurt in the fire.

2 comments:

Mummy McTavish said...

oooohhhh, freaky! I had that panic too when we had to disable ours because they wouldnt stop because of the humidity. Glad all was okay for the neighbours.

Grannysaurus said...

When we lived in a very old timber house in Brisbane, before the days of smoke/fire alarms, I often lay awake worrying about how we would get everyone out safely in the event of fire. Fire alarms are a godsend.