Friday, June 12, 2009

The Travelling Bug

I think the travelling bug means that you can't stay still, you have to keep travelling. My family seems to take it literally though. Every time we travel, we get sick.

I was meant to work Monday, Tuesday last week & then we would leave. I ended up sick & at the doctors with a really bad head cold & no voice. Little Bear was just starting to catch it when we left.

On Wednesday afternoon we left. We had dinner in Ayr at about 6:30pm & just about had to force feed Little Bear as she wanted to play on the slides (can you guess where we had dinner?)

At about 10:00pm, with the car an absolute mess from trying to keep children entertained, we began to regret our insistance that Little Bear eat more for dinner.

She threw up. Not a little, but all over herself & her car seat. Very wet, sticky & smelly.

The only place to pull over was on the side of the road where there was a steep bank. Of course DH pulled over & gravity took over making a bigger mess of what had previously been fairly well contained in Little Bear's lap.

I cleaned up as best I could, dressing Little Bear in the spare clothes I had packed within easy reach. & using up an entire packet of baby wipes. This was somewhere just north of Rockhampton I think. Someone pulled over, thinking we had had an accident (becuase of the angle of the car on the side of the road), but they couldn't help, so we thanked them & on they went.

After cleaning Little Bear & the car up as best I could, I put a towel in her car seat, sat her back in & put a sheet over her to keep her warm as it was starting to get very cold.

We travelled on, reasonably uneventfully until about Gin Gin, where Little Bear woke up & promptly threw up. I think this was about 4am. Same story as above, but this time I didn't have spare clothes for her, so I dressed her in a long sleeved shirt of Cheetah's. The kids then watched the Bee Movie at 4am & dozed again after that finished.

We made it into Brisbane at about 10:00am & after trying to find a Loo Stop near the freeway on the northside of Brisbane, we wasted about 1/2 hour, and then took another 1/2 hour to make it to our motel.

Thankfully our Motel let us check in early & they had a washing maching & dryer so I spent the better half of the day doing laundry. Because the kids were wide awake & didn't have much of a midday sleep (because they had been sleeping in the car), I went from 7:00am Wednesday to about 9:00pm Thursday without sleep.

I finally got to crash that night & crash I did. (However, tired as I was, I did manage to check & see that Qld won the first state of origin match, but now they are all catching the swine flu because some bright spark thought Melbourne (swine flu capital of Australia) would be a good venue for a match between Qld & NSW. Not looking so hot for the next match, but best out of three boys, that's all you need !!!

3 comments:

Mum-me said...

Well it doesn't sound like the trip has been much fun so far. Hope Little Bear is better and the rest of your holiday is great.

Mummy McTavish said...

Sounds puke-tastic!

The boys are missing cheetah and I think your neighbours are enjoying your tomatoes... we finally got there today and there is a million green ones and nothing ripe at all. I measured a baby born at the shops today too. problem solved.

Grannysaurus said...

Poor Little Bear and Poor Chimera. I hope the trip home is uneventful. Happy Birthday to Little Bear for Sunday!